In 2022, I ventured into the world of T-shirt creation using the screen printing method and participated in an illustration festival where I sold my items. Experiencing the physical printing process and interacting with customers, witnessing their reactions to my designs, fueled my passion for this craft.
This positive experience prompted me to delve deeper into the intricacies of screen printing—its methods, challenges, and the opportunity to refine my own style while creating more apparel. Eager to showcase my creations, I aimed to have them ready for the upcoming print festival in Hereford in the spring of 2023. Instead of merely curating a collection of designs, I decided to set a theme for myself. Simultaneously, I worked on refining my branding to establish a solid visual aesthetic (you can explore my 'personal branding project' in the WORK tab).
Choosing Norse Mythology as my theme, I found inspiration in my Danish heritage, reflected in my self-branding as 'Danish Designs.' The intriguing artwork style of Norse mythology captivated me, prompting me to reimagine it within my unique artistic style.
Embarking on this journey, I conducted extensive research into the various mythical creatures within Norse mythology. This exploration transitioned into sketches, gradually evolving into the final designs you'll see below.
Here are my initial sketches featuring three distinct entities from Norse mythology: the Norns, Niddhog, and Kraken. My approach involved outlining a basic placement idea, serving as a foundation for further development. A key focus in these pieces was integrating illustrations with typography to enhance the overall graphic T-shirt aesthetic.
After further refining the designs, I opted to proceed with only two of them. With these designs finalised, the next phase involved the printing aspect of the project. To achieve this, I needed to transfer the designs onto clear acetate, a crucial step for later exposure onto the mesh screen using UV-sensitive emulsion. The emulsion would cure, leaving the solid areas intact while washing away the uncured portions, resulting in a stencil.
Given the substantial size I envisioned for these designs on the garments, I had to split each design into two halves of A3 acetate, taping them together for the exposing process. This method proved effective, allowing me to seamlessly move on to the printing process.
Ultimately, I curated a collection featuring garments, prints, and stickers. Although my primary emphasis was on the apparel, I opted to extend the designs to a few other items to broaden the appeal to a wider audience. Drawing from past experiences with print events, I recognised that offering a variety of items, instead of solely higher-priced ones, tends to attract a larger audience. This approach enhances accessibility, making the collection more appealing to a broader range of individuals.